The nights are drawing in now properly and the dark mornings seem increasingly difficult to face from the comfort of a duvet. I find that the only thing that is likely to drag me out of bed is the promise of a decent cup of tea and a good breakfast. With that in mind, I made this granola. Scattered over a dollop of greek yoghurt and some of my super quick plum compote (literally just some chopped plums and a few tablespoons of water, boiled rapidly for a few mins), it seems to do the trick when it feels like nothing can.
Honey-baked Coconut Granola
You will need:
30g coconut chips
45g rolled oats
30g oat bran or wheat germ
40g sunflower seeds
80g almond flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
120 ml honey
100g unsalted butter
80g golden raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Line a baking tray with parchment or foil.
2. Heat a large frying pan without any fat or oil and toast the coconut chips until slightly golden. Set to one side.
3. Combine the oats, oat bran or wheat germ, sunflower seeds, almond flakes and cinnamon in a large bowl.
4. Melt together the honey and butter in a small pan over a low heat. Pour over the granola mix well.
5. Spread onto the tray and bake undisturbed for about 20-25 minutes, until golden.
6. Leave to cool before breaking the granola into pieces. Add the raisins and toasted coconut before storing in an airtight container. Will keep for about a week, if it lasts that long.